I would like to think I am a rational person. I try to use logic and reason to solve my problems. All the Logical Positivists are my bros. But even I with my mean empirical streak still occasionally fall prey to some quasi-magical thinking. Por ejemplo:
- At night, when going up the dark stairwell to bed, I rush up as quickly as possible because surely there is someone right behind me.
- I lift my feet when going over train tracks in a car. Even when I am driving.
- I flip over heads-down pennies before picking them up.
- I try not to sleep with my head facing west.
- I dread looking in the rear-view mirror when leaving my parents house down thier long drive that winds through the woods. I am sure I will see something, someone lurking.
- Similarly, when I go to the bathroom at night, I avoid looking in a big mirror in the hall that reflects out into the living room for fear I will see something.
- I knock on wood. Pretty often. And from the side or underside, not the top.
- I hold my breath while passing certain buildings or places.
I am sure there are more, but I can't think of anymore for the moment. So. Less logical and more crazy it seems.
Speaking of unreasonable magic, see here David Bowie's pants................